HARTFORD, Conn. – The world’s hottest and No. 1 ranked golfer officially committed to the Travelers Championship on Wednesday.
Three days after notching his fourth victory in his last nine starts, Dustin Johnson signed on to defend his title in Connecticut’s largest sporting event June 24-27 at TPC River Highlands on Cromwell. Johnson’s one-stroke victory over 2014 champion Kevin Streelman last year extended his consecutive years of wins on the PGA Tour to 13, the longest active streak. He won three more times in 2020, including the Masters in November, and then captured the European Tour’s Saudi International for second time in three years on Sunday.
“We’re excited to have our reigning champion in the field as we continue to develop plans for what we expect to be another world-class tournament,” tournament director Nathan Grube said. “His victory at TPC River Highlands last year started a record-setting, award-winning run, and we’re thrilled that Dustin will be coming back to Connecticut to defend his title.”
Following his Travelers Championship victory, Johnson shot an astonishing 30-under-par 254 for an 11-stroke win in THE NORTHERN TRUST at TPC Boston in Norton, Mass., and then captured the Tour Championship to clinch his first FedExCup points title. He then set the 72-hole scoring record of 20-under 268 at Augusta National to claim his second major championship in winning the Masters in November.
In addition to his on-course achievements, Johnson was named the PGA Tour Player of the Year for the 2019-20 season, the second time he was recognized with the honor (2016). He has been selected to play on four U.S. Ryder Cup teams and four U.S. Presidents Cup teams.
“Dustin has been a phenomenal champion for us, and we couldn’t be happier about welcoming him back,” said Andy Bessette, Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer at Travelers. “We’re determined to have another great player field, and knowing that the top-ranked player in the world is coming is a great place to start.”
The tournament is working closely with state, local officials and PGA Tour officials about possibly having a limited number of spectators this year after being a TV-only event in 2020. The safety of everyone on-site remains the top priority as the tournament and the PGA Tour determine the best environment for players, caddies, volunteers, sponsors, media and fans. Additional information regarding fans, volunteers and sponsors will be provided when more details are finalized.