SANDWICH, Mass. – Top legends of the LPGA Tour have once again committed to compete in this year’s second annual BJ’s Charity Championship. The 24-player team event will be held Friday, Sept. 7, at The Ridge Club in Sandwich, Mass.
Two new player pairings in this year’s event will feature the team of Californians Juli Inkster and Pat Hurst, and Dame Laura Davies and Trish Johnson of Great Britain, who will make their first appearance together since pairing for The Legends Tour’s 2015 Handa Cup. Johnson recently won the Suquamish Clearwater Legends Cup in Seattle.
Two popular LPGA Hall of Fame members, Nancy Lopez and Betsy King, will return to Massachusetts, pairing together for the 2018 event. Runners-up in the 2017 championship, Pat Bradley of West Hyannisport, Mass., and Barb Mucha of Orlando, Fla., hope to avenge their sudden-death playoff loss to Minnesota’s Michele Redman and Patti Rizzo of Florida. The two teams tied at nine under last year to force the playoff.
Jane Blalock of Cambridge, Mass., will again pair with Californian Allison Finney. Blalock scored a hole-in-one on the par-3 seventh hole last year to win a Toyota.
“We were thrilled to host the BJ’s Charity Championship Legends Tour team event last year for the first time,” said Jay Askew, general manager at The Ridge Club. “The LPGA Legends lived up to their credentials with two teams finishing with a playoff on our beautiful par-5 18th hole,” added Askew. “It was a pleasure to watch these legends of the game battle The Ridge and we can’t wait to do it again this September.”
The 12 teams of two Legends Tour members will compete in an 18-hole format that features a best-ball first nine holes, followed by a second-nine-hole scramble. Falmouth Toyota will again sponsor a prize automobile for the first pro scoring a hole-in-one during competition. And kicking off the competition as the 2018 honorary starter will be Boston Bruin great Bobby Orr.
Additional Event Details
• Public Parking is Free at Holly Ridge and includes shuttle ride to tournament admissions gate
• Legends merchandise will be on sale near the admissions gate
• Additional tents on-site include: BJ’s Wholesale Club, The Ridge Club, a photo booth, a social media posting vending machine with prizes and a make your own t-shirt booth
• Roping is limited – follow your favorites up close!
• Autographs & photos available following the round at the official scoring tent near 18 green
• Bring your own chairs – best kept secret spot: head to #16 tee and you can watch that tee plus shots into #12 green and #15 green. Great place to catch any action: first tee, 9 green, 10th tee and 18 green – all close to the clubhouse! Best par 3 to watch – #11 (you can also see shots into #10 green from there).
• Cell phones and cameras permitted – silence devices/
• Real time scoring available at www.thelegendstour.com
• Live stream from the first tee and 18 green – subscribe to The Legends Tour YouTube Channel
• Charity is BJ’s Charitable Foundation
TEAMS & TIMES:
Jane Blalock | Allison Finney
Laurie Rinker | Donna Caponi*
Jan Stephenson | Lorie Kane
Gail Graham | Hollis Stacy*
Elaine Crosby | Nancy Scranton
Michelle McGann | Suzy Whaley
Liselotte Neumann | Alicia Dibos
Nancy Lopez* | Betsy King*
Pat Hurst | Juli Inkster*
Trish Johnson | Laura Davies*
Pat Bradley* | Barb Mucha
Patti Rizzo | Michele Redman (Defending Champions)
*LPGA and World Golf Hall of Fame
Leave a Reply