PINEHURST, North Carolina – Dormie Network is putting the finishing touches on its original vision of a new clubhouse and cottages at the Dormie Club in Pinehurst, N.C. Located on the site of a former quail hunting retreat just minutes from the Village of Pinehurst, Dormie Club debuted nearly 10 years ago the only golf course in the Sandhills designed by the heralded team of Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw.
Dormie Network in 2017, Dormie Club is classic Coore/Crenshaw – a rolling, rustic layout with 100-foot elevation changes, seamlessly sculpted into more than 300 acres of land around natural lakes and pine forests. Dormie Club is intended to be walked, with fewer than 70 acres of managed grass, no paved cart paths and minimal signage.
Now, with an eye on the future, Dormie Network — a national golf membership, through which members have exclusive access to a portfolio of private destination golf clubs across the country — is completing work on its flagship property.
The most prominent of these is Dormie Club’s new, 16,000-square-foot clubhouse, featuring vaulted ceilings, a dining room, anchored by a large, two-sided fireplace and with views across the 18th green.
Next are the 15 new, stay-and-play cottages, each set along the golf course and just a short ride from the clubhouse. The cottages offer three lodging options for a total of 60 beds on site.
The 10 four-bedroom Dormie cottages each have private bathrooms, a vaulted great room with a snack area, a 55-inch TV lounge space, a separate seating area designed for cards or board games, and an exterior patio. The four Executive cottages are also four bedrooms with private bathrooms, some with double sinks, along with a steam shower, a kitchenette with a seating area, and a separate TV area with a gas fireplace. The expansive, two-story owner’s cottage has an exterior deck overlooking the lake next to the fifth fairway, and a lower level showcasing an entertainment area equipped with a bar, TV lounge, golf simulator and an on-grade patio.
In addition, there are numerous enhancements being completed around the club that will further elevate the member experience. These include a new entrance gate and a standalone pro shop that will soon open. Also nearing completion are a 12,000-square-foot practice putting green and an extended, 23,000-square-foot driving range measuring more than 300 yards, with a pair of indoor hitting bays on the back end, along with comfort stations strategically placed on the course, underground golf cart parking, and separate buildings for maintenance and housekeeping.
Around the Coore & Crenshaw layout, the bunkers have been restored using the Better Billy Bunker system, cart paths have been enhanced, winding walking bridges have been constructed, several new tee boxes accessible by walking trails have been added, landscaping has been refreshed and hundreds of trees have been removed to improve views around the property.
Dormie Network membership includes access to and full member privileges at every enclave, including Dormie Club. The network’s nationally ranked clubs include designs from some of the sport’s most renowned golf course architects.
Dormie Network continues to expand its amenities and further enhance the membership experience. Upcoming additions and improvements at Dormie Network properties include:
* At Ballyhack Golf Club in Roanoke, Va., which features a Lester George-designed, Old World, Scottish Highlands layout tucked in the Blue Ridge Mountains, current construction includes a new club entrance gate, a residential entryway and on-course tunnel renovation. Four Dormie and Executive cottages, along with an owner’s cottage and a housekeeping building, are about to debut, along with the Ballyhack-Goat Express mobile bar that will arrive soon.
* Briggs Ranch boasts a highly regarded, Tom Fazio-designed layout on the edge of Texas Hill Country in San Antonio. This year, Briggs Ranch is unveiling new Dormie and Executive cottages, with Phase 3 of the club’s cottage construction program — three Dormie and one Executive — and The Truck Stop, a lit, 16,000-square-foot putting and chipping green facility, each expected to arrive by spring 2022.
* Hidden Creek Golf Club also has a Coore & Crenshaw-designed golf course on a sprawling, 750-acre parcel of aged woodlands in southern New Jersey, just outside Atlantic City. The eight-bedroom Lodge at Hidden Creek shows off the club’s Old-World charm, and provides an extraordinary complement to the experience, whether accessing the club for business or leisure. Expected to be unveiled at Hidden Creek by spring 2022 are a trio of new houses, totaling 48 additional beds, along with a Hidden Creek-Mobile pizza oven onsite.
* The centerpiece of Victoria National in Newburgh, Ind., is a Fazio creation set amid 418 acres of reclaimed mining land, embracing a dramatic landscape, native vegetation, and spring-fed lakes. Victoria National has played host to the past two Korn Ferry Tour Championships, with the next on tap Sept. 2-5. Victoria National is in the process of opening two phases totaling nine new cottages, along with a new housekeeping building. The club’s private cottages include master suites, a fully stocked bar and community fire pits. A 15,000 square foot putting green expansion is also underway.
* ArborLinks in Nebraska City features a golf course designed by Arnold Palmer and surrounded by native Nebraska prairie in the heart of the Midwest. ArborLinks’ clubhouse and cottages provide the ideal spot for an off-the-grid retreat, day trip or weekend getaway. ArborLinks has cut the ribbon on an expanded new driving range expected to open soon.